Monday 15 December 2014

Maybelline Baby Lips: My Review

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted on here in a really long time and I just made an awesome discovery so I thought that I would check in!

For a really long time now I've heard people raving about Maybelline's baby lips lip balms. From what I gathered they were just like ordinary lip balms, except they had a hint of colour. I never really saw what the big deal was on hearing about them, but a little while ago I picked up one of those pepsi-flavoured lip balms from Primark which also had a hint of colour (it was a kind of pinkish bright red) and I decided that I really liked the idea of tinted lip balms, because on those days where you don't want to wear a full face of makeup because you want to be comfortable but at the same time you want to avoid looking like a corpse, they're perfect. However, this £1 pepsi lip balm had one problem for me. Although it tasted delicious, the colour kind of clung to the dry parts on my lips making them look even more dry, which was defeating the object of lip balm in the first place.

Which brings us to today. I was in town earlier running some errands and I was getting increasingly aware of how dry my lips felt when I was out in the cold. As much as I love winter, it does nothing for my lips or my skin. I thought about putting on my pepsi lip balm but decided not to because I remembered how unflattering it looked when I did. I then realised that I desperately wanted to try a Baby Lips balm, because I needed a new lip balm anyway, and as I preferred tinted ones I thought that one which was specifically designed as a tinted balm would do a better job. So in I went to my local Boots.

I actually ended up buying three of them and an eyeliner from Maybelline. I originally just picked one of the Baby Lips balms, but when I took it to the till they said that it was actually a freebie that you got when you bought three other Maybelline products, and since all of the Maybelline cosmetics were on 3 for 2, I decided it was worthwhile. So I came home with a Linerefine Expression Kajal eyeliner pencil in Black (£2.99), and two other Baby Lips balms plus my freebie (both £2.99). So for a grand total of £5.98 for four products, I was pretty happy.

The first one I got was called "Cherry Me". It's in an orange tube with pink writing on it, and it looks like a pinkish red from the tube, not dissimilar from my pepsi balm's colour. Here's how it looks:



I was hoping that this would be more of a red when I applied it, but it was indeed a pinkish red, similar to how it looks in the tube. This one I think was my least favourite of the three, because I prefer my reds to be reds and my pinks to be pinks and this just kind of can't decide which it is. Plus, I don't think I personally suit this shade, and I'll probably end up giving it away to my best friend because she suits colours like this more than I do. Having said that though, I think that this one is the best tasting of the three. It's very sweet, and as the name suggests, it's cherry flavoured, which is my favourite flavour for lip products since wearing cherry Lypsyl all the way through school. Here are some swatches on my hand and on my lips.



On to the next one. This one was part of the "Electro" range of colours, and it was called "Pink Shock". It's in a black tube with pink writing, and looks very neon in the tube, and it definitely looks pink, not red at all. Here it is:


I thought that this would be too bright for me and that I wouldn't like it when I tried it on, but I was wrong. It is still bright pink, but it's definitely not as harsh as it looks. It's a wearable colour and it makes my eyes look really blue which I like. This one doesn't taste of anything though, unlike "Cherry Me". Here it is swatched:



And now, my personal favourite. The last one was the one that I originally wanted to buy but got as a freebie. It's called "Dr Rescue" in "Berry Soft". This one never actually stated that it was coloured, and it seemed like the main purpose was to repair damaged lips and care for them, but at the same time it did look coloured in the tube; a kind of mauve pink. It's in a white tube with pale pink writing and I think it looks ADORABLE.


When I tried it on, I found that the colour did show. It looks slightly paler on the lips but not so pale that it washes you out, it's actually a very flattering colour. Since it's the closest to my natural lip colour, I think that this one is the most wearable. It's also more of a purple-pink than a red or orange pink, which are the kind of lip colours I like best. This one isn't flavoured either, but it contains eucalyptus which makes it seem slightly minty, and it gives your lips a refreshing tingly feeling. 



I'm absolutely in love with this last one, and I can see myself wearing it all the time.
Overall, I love these products. I think that as a lip balm, they definitely work, and the colour is an added bonus. I've been home about 45 minutes now and my lips already feel noticeably softer and less dry, and the colour isn't settling into the lines of my lips and fading unevenly, which is exactly what I wanted. I'm so happy that I bought these, and I can see them being my go-to lip product for all of the winter. 
I would give them a 5/5.

Has anybody else tried these? Comment and tell me what you think!

Ciao, 

Lauren xoxo

(Disclaimer: I bought these products myself and was not paid to do this review. All opinions are my own and are completely honest.)






No comments:

Post a Comment